Bookbinder, conservator and restorer of antiquarian books
- Customer: Meteorological Office.
- Title: The Posthumous Works of Robert Hookes.
- Author: ( Published by ) R.Waller.
- Size: 326mm x 216mm x 51mm.
- Date of book: 1705.
- Condition received: Mid / dark brown calf full binding.
- Tight-back style of binding.
- Both boards are loose from main text.
- Corners of the boards and parts of the sides of the boards have worn through the leather and even missing.
- Main block intact with only a few pages torn.
- Remove the leather spine.
- As it is a tight-back binding there is a possibility it will not come off in one piece therefore it may have to be removed in sections.
- Remove old glues from spine.
- Clean and repair pages where necessary.
- Repair leather corners with paste and leather inserts.
- Make a new case using leather to match original as closely as possible.
- Case in the text block.
- Attach original spine.
- Feed original leather with leather dressing.