Bookbinder, conservator and restorer of antiquarian books
- Title: Pilgrims Progress.
- Author: John Bunyan.
- Size: 133mm x 221mm x 40mm.
- Date of book: 1814.
- Condition received: Both boards missing.
- All of the spine missing apart from the odd fragment of leather.
(It is a tight-back binding with leather stuck directly to spine.)
- Main text holding together.
- Front and back sections loose.
- Text edges very dirty.
- Majority of pages very dirty.
- Remove fragment of leather to use as colour match later.
- Remove old glues.
- Unpick every section and folio.
- Dry clean each folio.
- Acquaeous clean every folio.
- De acidify every folio.
- Resize every folio.
- Once dry resew on cord.
- Attach navy marbled endpapers.
- Add new glues.
- Sponge colour edges in gold and light blue.
- Sew double headbands on top and tail with light blue, navy and gold threads.
- Add linings and false bands.
- Make up case out of mid calf leather to match fragment.
- Use calf to make a full binding.
- Hand tool William Morris design on sides with similar design on spine.
- Hand tool lettering on spine.
- Hand tool the square of the inside of the boards.
- All tooling to be 24 carat gold.
- Case in text block.
- Make a brown cloth drop-back box with felt lining to house the finished binding.
- Letter the box in gold on brown calf leather.