Royal Meteorological Society. Photographs of stations
- Customer: Meteorological Office.
- Title: Royal Meteorological Society. Photographs of stations.
- Size : 305mm x 42mm x 373mm.
- Date of book: 1887.
- Condition received: Half binding in dark green goat skin with dark green cloth sides.
- The case is in good condition.
- Leather label tooled on front cover.
- Majority of pages breaking off from main spinal area.
- In many places where the for edge of the pages has disintegrated white tape has been attached.
- Corners of the pages are brittle.
- Endpapers are triple papers.
- Approximately 30 pages with photographs and captions.
- The pages have either 6 photographs (small 100mm x 72mm) or 2 photographs ( large 198mm x 142mm ).
- All pages are extremely fragile.
Proposed action :
- Remove text from case.
- Remove old glues from spine.
- Detach remaining pages from the spine.
- Lift white tape from pages delicately to minimise damage.
- Place each sheet into a made to measure melinex pocket.
- This will protect the document from outside risks.
- The melinex has a margin for sewing.
- Sew the text block together using melinex strips as spacers.
- Use new glues and linings.
- Attach headbands top and tail.
- The text has now tripled in size due to the melinex additions, adjust original binding to fit the larger text block.
- Reattach the case to the text block.
- Feed leather with leather dressing.
(This book was later filmed during the BBC 2, “Weather” programme.)