Cook’s Voyages. Third Voyage, Volume Two.
[ngg_images gallery_ids=”1″ display_type=”photocrati-nextgen_basic_thumbnails”]
- Customer: Meteorological Office.
- Title: Cook’s Voyages. Third Voyage, Volume Two.
- Size: 300mm x 48mm x 241mm.
- Date of book: 1784.
- Condition received: Full brown calf binding.
- Tree marbling design on covers.
- Front and back boards are detached.
- The spine is in one piece apart from the head caps.
- Headbands top and tail are both missing.
- Endpapers are traditionally marbled.
- Text block edges are very dirty.
- The text block as a whole is in good condition.
- Corners of the boards are worn and showing the actual boards in places.
- There are white stickers on the front board.
- Remove spinal leather .
- Remove old glues and linings from the spine.
- Remove white stickers from the front board.
- Delicately clean the edges of the text block.
- Sew new headbands to match colours from the remaining small fragments found tucked inside the sections.
- Repair corners with paste and leather inserts where needed.
- Make new case incorporating the original boards.
- Case text block in with the original endpapers and cloth joints for strength.
- Reattach the original spine.
- Feed leather binding with leather dressing.